Saturday, December 03, 2011

San Francisco - Day 1, Nobb Hill, Fishermans Wharf

After driving through a torrent rain entire night on Interstate 5 with visibility almost nil, we arrived after midnight at San Francisco . Our accommodation was in the Nobb Hill area. The advantage of booking your accommodation here is most of the must see tourists sights are easily accessible( Fisherman's Wharf, Cable Car Museum, China Town and of course the Golden Gate Bridge).

Breakfast was at The Crepe House on Polk Street. Polk Street and its vicinity definitely rocks!  Polk Street is fun, great photo opp for street photography. Their egg plant crepe with fresh basil and tomatoes was lovely. The cafe boasts of lovely rich and colorful interiors . The building right at the corner of Polk and Washington looked Victorian and enticing to shoot a HDR here.


The weather was fantastic - I still receive queries on how the hell did I get such a clear blue sky which is depicted in my photos of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Apparently this is not typical of SFO . Well... what the heck - I tell people I was looking to shoot in the fog( which is typical of SFO), so now it boils down to "being at the right place at the right time"..LOL...it's tough to explain to people that one shoots landscapes only at sunset or sunrise...




SFO Day1


Lunch was at the Boudin Sourdough Bakery & Cafe on Market Street - famous for its San Francisco sourdough French bread. Loved the ambiance here. Quite surprised to see bread in various forms and shapes - that of starfish, crabs, aligators and crocodiles - the Wharf has it's effect on the Boudin bakery as well!  The famous Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf within walking distance was our next destination. A bit disappointed with the much talked about Ghirardeli Chocolate factory - the factory is closed now. There's a chocolate shop "The Original Chocolate Shop". 



SFO Day 1 Blog 2_2



San Francisco's maritime museum along Pier 45 - the USS Pampanito a World War 2 sub. By this time, I was in love with San Francisco - this city has life and a fresh air. A place I would love to re-visit anytime. The weather was fantastic - I still receive queries on how the hell did I get such a clear blue sky which is depicted in my photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. 


SFO Day 1 Blog 2_3

Tunnels always fascinate me. A stop by at the Japanese Tea Gardens proved fruitful. I love tunnels...I always find them sinister. Finally, I was looking forward to shoot the Golden Gate Bridge from Baker Beach. Not quite sure of the place, I planned our visit  an hour in advance before sunset :) Very very fruitful I should say, I was quite happy shooting the bridge at sunset with 4 photographers alongside me. Quite an achievement for Day1


SFO Day 1 Blog 4

No comments: